Saturday, November 25, 2006

He Isn't dying,is he?

Well, have you heard that one before? In some hollywood movie or may be in a bollywood movie(in hindi ofcourse). I had the rudest shock of my life yesterday when I heard this from a receptionist at a hospital here in london.
What was I doing there? Well,me and my house mate started towards the movie hall to watch D:2 and at the Zebra cross right infront of our apartment- my roomie was hit by a speeding car and he had a bleeding lip and some bruises.When we reached the hospital - it was filled with a bunch of kids(yes the oldest mustave been 17) who had got in a black gurl who had passed out after one too many drink. After we gave the details(name, address, tel) to the receptionist she asked us to wait until the doctor called us(Mind you this is the Emergecy cell of the hosp). After about 15 minutes of waiting,by whihc time my roomie had lost another 50 ml of blood from his lips - i went upto this receptionist to ask her how much longer would it take and she was like- ' the doc would call you'. When I reminded her that my roomie was 'bleeding' - phat- came her reply 'He isn't Dying-Is He?'. Belive me folkz - I just had no reply.
And this comes just after 3 days of hearing another horror story of a father taking his infant to the hosp with acute cough n cold and the doctors tired on some 'symptom aleivating' techniques on that kid(which looked like strangling according to the dad), and when the dad suggested prescrbing some cough syrup,the rely fromt he doc was -'Those are only used in 3rd world countries like India and Africa'.
Folkz am yet to come to terms with what I heard from that receptionist. Just a food for your thot. And its funny that no english movie talks about these stuff ;-)).

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Very Touchy

Shilps said...

that was rude..!!

Unknown said...

That is so true dude..Health care sucks in western countries..no matter how good they claim it to be....unless u r dying they wont take u in kano...Over here my friend had a jaw fracture (broke his lower law into two)and lost a bunch of teeth..he bled for - I am not kidding here - 36 hours...he wasn't even taken in because the doc's were busy with other patients...Not to metion when I broke my finger into six pieces..I had to wait 6 hrs for them to look at it and a week for surgery...health care in US sucks..I didnt realize it was that bad in UK as well..
Phani

Revathi said...

Unbelievable! How is he now by the way?

I think we can be proud being Indians in India - we still have not lost the human values - ..

Rohini said...

Very rude indeed.. makes us realize how good India is :)