Sunday, November 19, 2006

Updated Resume

Yeah - I dont blame you if were expecting a techie write up after seeing the title.But this is about some other skill set update.
When I put my bag onto the X-Ray machine in Bangalore Airport - it was checked twice and the guy there asked me to xplain the 6 bottles tied up in duct tape. Then I had to tell him that those were my 'Rasam and Sambar powder' supplies . He would have thought - i am an xpert cook,well i was far from it then. I also had a peice of paper in my luggage with some of momz reciepies - which i never tried to cook when in india.
Once I moved into the house in England- It was pretty clear that...the rules of the house requires me to update my 'Cooking Skills'. And there I find my cooking GURU ,aka -Prashant Mali : My house mate.
On day two - its my turn to cook for the whole gang(phew- what a risk these guys were taking). Mali is the best guru u kan have as a starter(tho once u r in the grove of it,its a different story). He took pains to explain where the things were in the kitchen,how to operate the microwave, and most importantly how to cook Dal. And after 45 mins of do it yourself kinda session - ta raaa - we had Dal-Chawal dinner ready. And since my house mates are still alive and healthy - i can safely say that - I had passed my first test of survival in a alien country.
Down the line I realized that I do like cooking(preferably on weekends tho) and I was constantly thinking about trying out new stuff. With all my housemates bwing comfy with the taste of what I cook,I was doing very fine until a couple of days back - when the honey moon ended. I did try to mix tomato puree with capsicum sabji and ended up burning the vessel charcoal black( The guy who cooks- washes the vessels too :(().
But as they say - failure is the steppng stone for success, yesterday was a day where I got certified as a decent cook. On a lazy saturday afternoon i go into the kitchen and try my hand out at chana masala(reading a recepie from a site) and belive me folks - the end result was GOOD(am being modest here).
I know my mom is waiting back in india for her weekely offs now tht she has a option in kitchen.But hey - I am proud of it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had the opportunity to test the Chana Masala, and believe me it was really testy.
Well done mate.

Unknown said...

Dane marayare..yenkle channa massalla recipe kodi